The Holidays are just a few weeks away, so I wanted to share my picks for the best holiday traditions in San Diego so you can get to planning!
1) The Grinch at the Old Globe – There is no better way to get in to the Holiday Spirit than to take the family to see How the Grinch Stole Christmas at the Old Globe in Balboa Park. Cindy Loo Who and all the Whos in Whovile will have you tapping your feet and feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. The Grinch runs Saturday, November 20th – Sunday, December 26th, 2013.
2) Holiday Snow Days and Winter Nights at LEGOLAND California – The best place in San Diego to celebrate the holidays with your young kiddos is at LEGOLAND® California at their Holiday Snow Days and Winter Nights where you can sing along with carolers, go snow sledding, and of course check out the world’s largest LEGO® holiday tree that stands 30 feet tall (official tree lighting is on December 5th). This event runs from November 21st through December 31st, 2013 (nightly fireworks are from December 26th – 31st).
3) Del Mar Holiday Wonderland and Tree Lighting – There are a ton of tree lighting ceremonies around San Diego county to choose from, but the Del Mar Wonderland is one of my favorites. Maybe because it’s nestled along the darling area of Del Mar on Highway 101 from 11th Street to 15th Street, and it culminates with the lighting of a gorgeous tree just outside of L’Auberge.
4) San Diego Bay Parade of Lights: On December 8th and 15th at 5:30pm, you and your family can bundle up and hang out along the Embarcadero at Sea Port Village to see a stunning parade of lights as decorated boats cruise by along the San Diego Bay. Seaport Village has a ton of things to do and see for families so the whole day can be spent there leading up to the night event.
5) Ice Skating at Horton Square– Anytime between November 21, 2013 and January 5th, 2014, grab your mittens and knee pads on and head down to the Sycuan Ice Rink at Horton Plaza for some ice skating fun for the whole family. This is a perfect way to feel like winter has really landed in Southern California. Proceeds of the Sycuan Fantasy on Ice go to the Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Rady Children’s Hospital. There is also ice skating at the Hotel del Coronado November 27th– January 5th, 2014.
Tags: Balboa Park, Christmas events, family friendly events, Family Fun, Family Holiday events 2013, Holiday events in San Diego for kids, holiday traditions, ice skating in san diego, san diego holiday tree lighting, Snow Days at Legoland, snow in san diego, the grinch at the old globe, what to do with kids for the holidays