Mama Mary is the host of the her own blog The Mama Mary Show, a freelance writer, author of Dead Dads Club, a mom to two spunky little girls and an a over-zealous GLEEk.

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

Whale Yoga–For Kids!

Whale Yoga for Kids - San Diego Mama.com

From the time my kiddos were in the womb they have been exposed to yoga. Though I am not a proficient yogini by any means, I frequented pre-natal yoga classes during both pregnancies and also began taking both kiddos to “Mommy & Me” classes soon after they were born. Eventually I took Lily to Toddler Yoga as soon as she turned two.

Just recently, our favorite toddler yoga instructor, Jodi Komitor of Next Generation Yoga, came out with an instructional DVD for kids and sent me a copy. It’s called Whale Yoga—For Kids! Jodi, or as we like to call her Jo-Jo, takes the kiddos through all the most popular yoga poses while using analogies to whales and the ocean to explain each pose. For example, Whale Swimming is the combo of cat/cow poses (which were my favorite when I was pregnant), Ocean Waves is up dog/down dog (how cute is a two year old doing downward dog?), and Whale Breaching is a half sun salutation. Jo-Jo also shows the kids how to do deep cleansing breaths and teaches them the special meaning of Namaste.

My kids absolutely LOVE doing yoga with Jo-Jo, both in person and with her new video. She has unparalleled way of working with the kids; she forges bonds with them and finds ways to make them love this spiritual and awakening form of exercise. Ever since we received the DVD it is the first thing they ask for in the morning. So, not only do I get some time to make breakfast in peace and quiet, but they get to start the day with some fun & invigorating activity. It’s a win-win!

Here is a short preview of the Whale Yoga DVD.

You can win a FREE copy of Whale Yoga by leaving me a comment with your favorite yoga pose. If you don’t know the actual name, just describe it (I never remember the names). A winner will be selected on Monday, October 11th.  Good luck and Namaste.

*****

For more info on Jo-Jo and her Next Generation Yoga classes CLICK HERE.

To order a copy of Whale Yoga, CLICK HERE

Follow Next Generation Toga on Twitter @NGYoga

And Like them on Facebook.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments (18)

1. Pingback: Non-camera Phones

2. Flo Schoepp 01/12/2011 at 7:54 am

lol. I use meditation on a regular basis and think that it’s a superb way to relax.

3. Bonnie 10/15/2010 at 12:40 am

Hi Megan,I also teach children with special needs and use many of Jodi’s techniques.Maybe we can compare notes..Bonnie from Brooklyn

4. Mama Mary 10/13/2010 at 9:51 pm

Hi Deb, You’re the big winner of the Whale Yoga DVD, yay! I will work it out with Jodi how to get you your dvd. Can you email me your address at mary@mamamaryshow.com? Congratulations!

5. Mama Mary 10/13/2010 at 6:39 pm

And the winner is…Deb Donofrio! Congratulations Deb! Jodi or I will send you your dvd soon. : ) Cheers!

6. Gwen 10/09/2010 at 4:52 pm

We’ve never tried Whale Yoga, but our favorite pose is Warrior Pose 1. Can’t wait to check it out!

7. Megan 10/08/2010 at 1:46 pm

I love Jodi!!!! I took the training class with her back in 2007. I currently teach yoga weekly to special needs children and use so many of Jodi’s techniques. The kids love the music and the fact that they can be whatever they want!!! We do a modified sun salutation that all the kids love!!! Thanks for posting her new video— it looks awesome! Megan from CT

8. coachjane 10/07/2010 at 11:57 pm

My favorite is the little hungry bird (warrior 3)!

9. Bonnie 10/07/2010 at 10:34 pm

Love the whale yoga ,Jodi!!!My favorite yoga pose is fish pose.My daughter Emily,who has Down Syndrome loves down dog..Bonnie ,New York

10. Serpabrandl Deborah Susan 10/07/2010 at 1:56 pm

I like how Jodi teaches everyone Namaste
    And I have always loved Sun Salutations from the movie
    “The Little Princess” ~ especially the BBC version!!!
    namaste

11. Mclanek 10/06/2010 at 11:36 pm

I’m going to be starting a pre-natal yoga video with my also pregnant friend. I don’t know much about yoga and the only pose I can actually name is downward dog. My kids have been exposed to yoga with the Wii Fit. It is so cute to see.

12. Peggy 10/06/2010 at 1:04 pm

I haven’t tried whale yoga yet but am excited for it! In the meantime, a favorite of mine (and my kinder class) is dolphin dives! It feels refreshing just to imagine diving under the cool blue water like a playful porpoise!

13. Nina 10/06/2010 at 2:31 am

My favorite is Utthita parsvakonasana (extended side angle pose)- and 4 year old Eva’s favorite is Vrksasana (tree pose)- of course!

14. Jodi Komitor 10/05/2010 at 10:58 pm

Love you Deb!! Thanks for the entry! xo, jodi

15. Debdonofrio 10/05/2010 at 5:11 pm

In the Wet Pose category my favorite pose is Fish Pose for so many reasons. First and foremost it opens the upper chest and helps to loosen and free any sticky fluids (kid talk) that causes coughs and colds. Second it is fun to ground the elbows and open the throat with fish fins while making fish lips. When done in a circle with heads toward the middle you can feel like you are upside down hanging from the ceiling!

16. Christina 10/04/2010 at 7:43 pm

B and I do the Tree. He cracks up when he looses his balance.

17. Sugar Jones 10/02/2010 at 10:16 pm

Since I’m totally hooked on yoga now, it seems only fitting that I get the kids hooked along with me. 🙂

18. Pingback: Tweets that mention Whale Yoga–For Kids! « San Diego Mama -- Topsy.com